Ahh...
THIS is what I'm talking about:

We had SUCH a great time in Palawan! Joel and his friend Marcial met me when I arrived in Puerto Princesa on Saturday morning, and we soon headed out to Sabang to visit the Underground River. It was great to be back on a banca again:

Even though one of us fell in when the water got a little rough as we were climbing out:

The river tour was wild--we saw (and heard) lots of birds and bats, along with a wide variety of rock formations inside the cave, including fruits and vegetables, candles, and even the Virgin Mary! When we came out, we ran into a TV host and former Miss Universe contestant, who interviewed us for her TV show about conservation of macaques (the monkeys that live near the river). Supposedly it will air this week--I'll post it here if I can find it! We slept in Sabang that night, sharing a bonfire on the beach with some new friends after the electricity went off at 10:30 PM. I hadn't slept so well in weeks!
On Sunday we left Sabang mid-morning and headed to Honda Bay, where we island-hopped and snorkeled all afternoon. Our guide, Eric, helped us to keep breathing (always important!) and pointed out all kinds of fish and corals as we swam. We found Nemo and Dory from the movie, although these Dorys were brown instead of blue. We enjoyed it so much that ours was the last boat left on the second island at the end of the afternoon:

Later we had a yummy seafood dinner in Puerto and spent another quiet night SLEEPING in peace--definitely a key component of the trip! It was truly refreshing, and I was even able to laugh at the hassles of the near-monsoon conditions when we returned to Manila on Monday and Tuesday. Fortunately, both days included several productive meetings for me, so I felt ready to leave this morning. We are on our way home, but not as far as expected! Details in the next post...

We had SUCH a great time in Palawan! Joel and his friend Marcial met me when I arrived in Puerto Princesa on Saturday morning, and we soon headed out to Sabang to visit the Underground River. It was great to be back on a banca again:

Even though one of us fell in when the water got a little rough as we were climbing out:

The river tour was wild--we saw (and heard) lots of birds and bats, along with a wide variety of rock formations inside the cave, including fruits and vegetables, candles, and even the Virgin Mary! When we came out, we ran into a TV host and former Miss Universe contestant, who interviewed us for her TV show about conservation of macaques (the monkeys that live near the river). Supposedly it will air this week--I'll post it here if I can find it! We slept in Sabang that night, sharing a bonfire on the beach with some new friends after the electricity went off at 10:30 PM. I hadn't slept so well in weeks!
On Sunday we left Sabang mid-morning and headed to Honda Bay, where we island-hopped and snorkeled all afternoon. Our guide, Eric, helped us to keep breathing (always important!) and pointed out all kinds of fish and corals as we swam. We found Nemo and Dory from the movie, although these Dorys were brown instead of blue. We enjoyed it so much that ours was the last boat left on the second island at the end of the afternoon:

Later we had a yummy seafood dinner in Puerto and spent another quiet night SLEEPING in peace--definitely a key component of the trip! It was truly refreshing, and I was even able to laugh at the hassles of the near-monsoon conditions when we returned to Manila on Monday and Tuesday. Fortunately, both days included several productive meetings for me, so I felt ready to leave this morning. We are on our way home, but not as far as expected! Details in the next post...

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home