Connections, connections
After a slow, typhoon-inhibited beginning, this week is turning out to be more fun than I thought. Yesterday, after making a zillion phone calls and slogging through a horrific rainstorm, I had a fascinating and productive meeting at the government overseas employment agency in the late afternoon, followed by a yummy Italian dinner with Christina up in her neck of the woods (i.e. FAR from my place!). This morning I had a chance to visit the main campus of the University of the Philippines (courtesy of my friend Joseph), and this afternoon I met with another nursing school dean who gave me almost 3 hours of her time (!). This evening was the real treat of the week so far, though--I got to visit a mission school and church in Antipolo (basically an extension of Metro Manila) with a Whitinsville connection! The woman who helps to run the school is the aunt of some of my WCS schoolmates. She and her Filipina colleague met me at my train and took me to visit a local hospital before meeting some of their church members, touring their school, and eating dinner together. The only disappointment of the evening was that school was not in session, so I didn't get to meet the kids! They have assured me that we will make a better timed visit next time I am in Manila. :)
Another visit to this place is feeling pretty inevitable at this point...there is just so much left to do, still so many people I haven't met and offices I haven't visited! I'm not a huge fan of the city itself, but the people I have met have been so generous and hospitable that I can't imagine never coming back. I am so grateful for this tangled web of connections that has made my time here memorable and fun, as well as productive! (Although let's not get ahead of ourselves on the productivity...I have also learned why it's necessary to allow extra time to do ANYthing in Manila!)
I hope that you're all having a great week! I'm looking forward to catching up with many of you in person soon.
Another visit to this place is feeling pretty inevitable at this point...there is just so much left to do, still so many people I haven't met and offices I haven't visited! I'm not a huge fan of the city itself, but the people I have met have been so generous and hospitable that I can't imagine never coming back. I am so grateful for this tangled web of connections that has made my time here memorable and fun, as well as productive! (Although let's not get ahead of ourselves on the productivity...I have also learned why it's necessary to allow extra time to do ANYthing in Manila!)
I hope that you're all having a great week! I'm looking forward to catching up with many of you in person soon.

2 Comments:
Who is the aunt??
By
Jenn-ay, at 5:47 PM
It's Janette Hassey! I'll post pics later...
By
Leah, at 8:08 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home