More Visayas pics
The "Sugarloaf" for which Pan de Azucar is named:

Johann climbed it a few months ago--I guess it was pretty harrowing! We climbed a more gentle hill to visit one of the barangays on the island on Saturday. The locals were really glad to see the 2 doctors (and very kind to me also!). We signed guest books everywhere we went! At the local school we met this little girl, who was very taken with my sunglasses:

Isn't she adorable? I learned that the local language is heavily influenced by Spanish, so she thought the sunglasses made me look "guapa"--so does she!
We took a last picture inside the guest house before heading back to Concepcion in the afternoon:

I love how I am the tallest person in this picture--the story of life for anyone 5'6'' or taller in the Philippines!
We stopped off on another island on the way back. The sandbar was a great place to look for shells and all kinds of creatures in the shallows:

Yes, Johann is talking on his cell phone! It's amazing where you can get reception in the Philippines. I think lots of people have skipped the land line phase altogether, so the cell phone network is pretty extensive and has really changed how people communicate here.
Finally, I took the following picture back in Iloilo yesterday because I loved the irony. Notice the topics covered by the two meetings taking place a few days apart at the same hotel:

Welcome to the Philippines...land of mixed messages!

Johann climbed it a few months ago--I guess it was pretty harrowing! We climbed a more gentle hill to visit one of the barangays on the island on Saturday. The locals were really glad to see the 2 doctors (and very kind to me also!). We signed guest books everywhere we went! At the local school we met this little girl, who was very taken with my sunglasses:

Isn't she adorable? I learned that the local language is heavily influenced by Spanish, so she thought the sunglasses made me look "guapa"--so does she!
We took a last picture inside the guest house before heading back to Concepcion in the afternoon:

I love how I am the tallest person in this picture--the story of life for anyone 5'6'' or taller in the Philippines!
We stopped off on another island on the way back. The sandbar was a great place to look for shells and all kinds of creatures in the shallows:

Yes, Johann is talking on his cell phone! It's amazing where you can get reception in the Philippines. I think lots of people have skipped the land line phase altogether, so the cell phone network is pretty extensive and has really changed how people communicate here.
Finally, I took the following picture back in Iloilo yesterday because I loved the irony. Notice the topics covered by the two meetings taking place a few days apart at the same hotel:

Welcome to the Philippines...land of mixed messages!

3 Comments:
Hi Leah,
I agree...the signs are pretty ironic.. you can see why your advisor/mentor from Manilla's been so interested in your project. I'm glad you're getting to see some of the countryside...it looks lovely.
Susie
By
Anonymous, at 1:09 PM
Hi Miss Leah, it's great to see what you've been doing! I talked to your parents and they're getting the violin on their way through Ithaca on Wednesday. I'll be headed south but it sounds like it should go smoothly. :) That little girl is adorable--reminds me of how Maya or was it Sophie? loved your sunglasses! But then, don't we all want to be stylish like you?!
By
Anonymous, at 6:02 PM
Love those signs! They sure seem to confirm that you're on the right track with your research. Susie
By
Anonymous, at 10:38 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home