Leah's World Tour!

Monday, November 6, 2006

Geeks take Raleigh

How's this for "nerdiest Saturday evening outing ever"?

My friends and I went to Raleigh for dinner and a concert on Saturday night. The restaurant was the only hip element of the evening--a classy, candlelit place across the street from NC State's campus:















The rest of the evening was, shall we say, not so hip:

  • The performers: a brass band (cornets, tenor horns, trombones, tubas, etc.).
  • The headliner (at least for us): our econometrics professor. He had at least 10 student-type groupies attending the concert, in addition to other family and friends.
  • The jackets: red, and all appeared to be the same size (even the ones worn by the women!). The players looked like members of a barbershop chorus.
  • The narrator: the weatherman from a local TV station, also a tuba player himself. He was invited to play along with other brass band "alumni" on the last piece, which was naturally "Stars and Stripes Forever"--"Get your tuba, Greg!"
  • The puns: the group's CD is called "March Madness", which itself is a pun and gives rise to innumerable riffs such as "there was a lot of hoopla" about the performance, but the "net" result was great...and so on and so forth. The weatherman also took advantage of the opportunity, upon introducing a piece called "Mercury March", to remark that "the mercury will be marching upward next week!" Oh, yes. My fabulous and punny college roommate would have been in her element.
With all of that said, we had a great time! The concert was the perfect excuse for an evening out. We are all geeks anyway, so we ate it up, funny jackets, bad puns and all!















Hope you had a good weekend too. :)

1 Comments:

  • Geez!! I am SOOO behind in reading your blog. I wish there was some way for it to let me know that you have posted a new blog!

    Anyways...your trip sounded amazing! I can't believe we haven't chatted about it in real life! Strange! A lot of that could possibly have something to do with my computer crapping out on me...and only being able to use my laptop...so I don't keep it on incessantly! ;-) Possibly? Not sure though! haha....

    Well, I'm glad you had fun at that concert! You are too funny!!! ;-)

    Alrighty...I promise, I WILL blog soon enough! ;-) I owe you a few!!! hahaha....

    Love you!!
    ~Jen

    By Blogger Jenn-ay, at 11:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home